Our Mission Objective #2, RET-1, was the first major project completion. The rover chassis, navigation and heading were important parts of the overall project. Now that you have working rover that can move from Point A to Point B, it is time put your rover to practical use. We must now consider avoiding obstacles or hazards as the rover moves.
Your mission is to devise a implement a hazard avoidance algorithm, such that any potential obstacles or hazards are detected and generate a suitable trajectory to move around or avoid the hazard. You should also take into account that as you avoid potential obstacles, your rover should maintain a reasonable forward movement and not move too far laterally to either side of your original path. For example, if you implement your hazard avoidance algorithm such that you always move around to the right of an object, your rover would eventually wander too far laterally from your original path that you could end up too far from your intended destination.
Come up with several different hazard avoidance algorithms & maneuvers and create a way to have your rover “decide” which maneuver to implement. It is up to you to make sure your rover can successfully navigate a flat landscape through a unknown field of standard sized hazards and obstacles. Your rover should not touch or crash into any obstacles as this may dislodge and / or damage your sensor payload. Damage to your sensor payload will result in a mission failure, so it is imperative that your hazard avoidance maneuvers function correctly.
- A written report must be submitted which will include the following sections:
- Description of all hazard avoidance maneuvers you programmed
- Diagrams of hazard avoidance maneuvers
- Completed and commented code.
- Videos of your tests.
- Test cases and Results
Allow sufficient time to test your hazard avoidance maneuvers!!!
Grades are calculated using the following rubric:
- Completed project milestone on time
- Hazard routines created and how you had your rover “decide” the maneuver
- Written report detailing your hazard avoidance algorithms, diagrams of your maneuvers, tests and test results.
- All completed code with proper commenting
Due Date: Week 28: week of April 4th
There are no extensions to this Mission Objective for any reason.
Late submissions will be docked by 4 points.